Tamworth  v  Basford United

Tue 13 Sep - 19:45 Southern League Premier Central




Basford United

Basford United

Match Report

Matchday 08:

After the weekend’s games had been postponed following the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, The Lambs returned to the CR MOT Community Stadium for a first ever competitive meeting with Basford, who had been promoted in the Southern League Premier Central for the current season.

Andy Peaks’ side took to the field in the new Kappa home kit, sponsored by J Clarke Transport on the front of the shirts and Bradley Scott Windows on the back of the shirts and shorts, for the first time (caused by supply delays) and there were two changes to the side that rolled Boldmere aside in the FA Cup on Matchday 07 with Eoin McKeown out through injury and Alex Bradley serving suspension following his sending off v Alvechurch.

The Lambs in 5th position, five points behind leaders Nuneaton and with a game in hand, went in search of three points to bolster their quest for the upper echelons of the league table, and also to try and secure a place in the starting eleven on Saturday’s forthcoming trip to Kidderminster Harriers in the FA Cup.

The visitors, one point behind Tamworth before kick off, featured a number of former Lambs in their squad with Greg Smith and Anthony Dwyer in the starting eleven and Dominic Roma on the bench.

After an impeccably observed minutes silence of remembrance, Tamworth kicked off proceedings attacking the Meadow Street end but it was the visitors who forced the first corner of the game on 4 and it whipped straight through to the Shed side of the ground with Dwyer rushing in but failing to connect.
Then Cockerill-Mollett struck from fully 35 yards and Preston had to tip it just over the bar for a right sided corner on 6 which fell perfectly for Creaney at the far post to head down and beat the keeper (1-0, 6 mins)
Smith headed tamely at Singh on 11, and Creaney burst through but couldn’t lift the ball over Preston from the ensuing move up field as the fast pace continued unabated.
Finn was brought down by Dunn on 14 on the right allowing Tamworth to press but the move was broken down and when Mussa felled Dwyer the freekick looked for Smith but Tamworth defended strongly and broke with Clement over the half way line. He looked up and spotted Preston off his line but was unable to beat him with a halfway line lob that just didn’t come off for him as hoped.
A low drive from Finn on 22 looked to be going close from the right channel but Preston was happy to let it go into the side netting and Fairlamb’s ball from the left into the box was booted away off the toes of Creaney in the next move.
Finn was involved again down the right with a floated pass looking for Clement, but Preston got their first, and highest.
Mussa picked up a booking for a foul on Dwyer as he tried to advance down the left wing on 32 and Fairlamb needed some treatment on 35 after taking a blow to the face.
The remainder of the half saw the visitors working hard to no avail and Tamworth looking to break when possible, with the ball spending the majority of it’s tie in the middle of the park until Fairlamb was upended by Grantham on the left who picked up a yellow card for his efforts.
In added time at the end of the half Tamworth were awarded a freekick on the right but it was headed strongly away and Curley’s long throw was dealt with before the whistle blew.

Basford restarted proceedings and within the first minute Mussa clattered with Grantham and with both on a yellow card both sides held their breath but after consultation with his linesman no cards were shown and play continued with a Tamworth freekick but when Grantham was spoken to again on 51 after a challenge on Clement in the centre circle he was quickly replaced by Munakandafa.
Singh plucked a strike from the substitute out of the air on 55 and Curley was on hand to cut out his low cross from the right a minute later.
Finn found Clement at the far post with a right sided dead ball on 57 but it was straight at Preston and Finn was involved again forcing a right sided corner but it was the visitors who netted next, with Munakandafa driving his cross from the right low into the area for Dwyer to steal in and side foot past Singh from close range (1-1, 64 mins)
Around the 67th minute mark Cockerill-Mollett needed treatment on the field and was unable to continue brining Cater into the mix and he nearly was able to put The Lambs back into the lead but Preston came a yard out of his area to deny him connecting with Collard’s chipped through ball on 70.
Cater forced a corner on 76 with a powerfully deflected shot from the edge of the box and before the flag kick could be taken The Lambs made another change, with Deacon replacing Clement. Creaney picked up the ball on the right and whipped a cross onto eth head of Finn forcing Preston into a reactionary smart save and from that flagkick Finn’s ball into was glanced wide of the far post by Deacon’s header.
Munakandafa forged a path into the right of the box and blasted a shot at Singh which set the visitors with a corner and the pressed from the half clearance until Dolman took control and cleared The Lambs lines.
A corner on the left was headed away from Creaney by Smith as the minutes counted down and there was lots of movement of the ball around the pitch by both sides with one flowing move from The Lambs ending only when Preston caught Creaney’s ball into the box from the right on 88.
A defensive header by Collard sneaked over the touchline despite the best efforts of Curley as added time came into view and Barnes took the flagkick but Fairlamb burst onto it to clear the danger and as four minutes added time was shown Dolman’s throw caused problems but was dealt with.
Tamworth continued to press and a foul on Milnes 30 yards out gave the same player a sight on goal with a wall in front but it struck Irvine powerfully and went out for a left sided corner and from Collards header back into the mix Deacon nodded home from a yard out to raise the roof on The Lamb (2-1, 95 mins)

Singh, Curley, Cockerill-Mollett (Cater 67), Mussa, Collard (c.), Dolman, Finn, Milnes, Creaney (Deacon 76), Clement, Fairlamb
Subs: Hurst, Hart, Howkins
YC: Mussa 32

Basford United
Preston, Betts, Barnes, Dunn, McGowan, Irvine, Starkie (Palmer 80), Thornhill, Smith, Dwyer (Chapman 94), Grantham (Munakandafa 52)
Subs: Roma, Musson
YC: Grantham 44, Dwyer 72

Referee: Mr. L. Hibble

Attendance: 422

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors