Rushden and Diamonds  v  Tamworth

Sat 8 Oct - 15:00 FA Trophy 3RQ

Rushden and Diamonds

Rushden and Diamonds




Match Report

Matchday 13:

The Lambs travelled to Hayden Road for the FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round tie against Andy Peaks’ former side who had recently departed their manager due to a continuing poor run of results, culminating in 5-0 and 7-0 defeats.
Peaks made just one change to the previous starting eleven with Milnes replacing Bradley who took a spot as one of the seven substitutes permitted in the competition.

Under warming October blue sky sunshine Tamworth kicked off up the home slope towards the seated stand and signalled their intention through a Fin effort which curled just over the corner of bar and post.
Snedker plucked a Fairlamb cross out of the air on 3 and Creaney forced a corner on the right on 5 which he headed down for Deacon but his shot as blocked. The Lambs continued to press and cause problems but neither Deacon, Fairlamb, Creaney not Finn could find a clean way through and Milnes corner on 8 was taken by Snedker at his near post.
Diamond enjoyed a spell of possession about the 10 minute mark and forced Singh into a low save with Ngwa instrumental in the home sides move upfield and the same player forced a corner on the left on 12 which former Diamonds and now Lambs captain Collard headed away.
Singh batted a dangerous left wing cross away from his near post on 15 and Ngwa was involved again on 18 when Singh was called to protect his area.
Deacon forced Snedker into a low near post save from a downward header on 24 and a deep ball into the area found Creaney in the next move but his knock back into the area was cut out by the keeper.
Creaney then hit his own take down on the volley from 30 yards on 28 but fired wide of the right hand post and then Cockerill-Mollett and Deacon combined but were unable to forge a way through Rushden the back line.
Cockerill-Mollett and Fairlamb then combined down the left and his cross was cut out by a defensive boot that liberated a home fan from his beer in the stand behind the goal!
The Lambs took the lead on 35 though, with Finn finishing from close range after Fairlamb sent a low ball into the box from the left channel (0-1, 35 mins)
The home side pushed back from the restart and Cooper headed just wide of the mark from a well placed but The Lambs doubled their lead on 38 with Creaney side footing home Finn’s square into the strikers path with Snedker stranded for his 15th of the season in 12 appearances (0-2, 38 mins)
Creaney nearly added a second on 41 but his shot was pushed over the bar by Snedker after Milnes had done all the hard work in the middle of the box and the former crossed on 43 for Finn to try and head home but he glanced his effort wide of the far post on 43 shortly before the half time whistle blew.

HT 0-2

The home side restarted proceedings and with the sun still high and in Singh’s line of view down the Hayden Road pitch, Rushden tried to get their way back into the game.
On 50 Collard was booked after he brought down Ngwa as he burst down the left and Creaney headed the freekick ball over the bar before Singh could get there to punch it away.
Milnes needed treatment after chasing down a loose ball with Snedker on 57 and was unable to continue so Bradley replaced him for the duration of the game.
Corden struck from distance on 58 and only just fired wide of the left hand upright, then at the other end Finn forced Snedker into a good stop to push his goalbound strike over the bar and from the corner Cockerill=Mollett’s header landed on top of the goal netting.
Diamonds kept looking for a way back into the game and Tee made headway through The Lambs midfield and opted for a snap shot from 35 yards on 66 but it went wide of the mark.
Then, almost without warning of a Lambs attack brewing, Creaney then added his second, and 16th, on 71 to make it 3-0 with a deft chip over the keeper from the right of the box which nestled in the far corner allowing the travelling faithful to celebrate once more (0-3, 71 mins)
George came on for his first appearance of the season on 79, replacing Creaney, and he drilled the ball from the right into Finn but his shot on the turn from the edge of the area went just over the woodwork.
Collard headed home the fourth of the afternoon at the far post after good work from George set up Curley to drop on the head of the Lambs captain on his old stamping ground. (0-4, 82 mins)
Fairlamb was then upended on the left of the box on 85 but Cockerill-Mollett’s header went just over the target from close range and when Georges’ shot went out for a corner on 89 Collard met the flagkick with his head but it looped over Snedker and the bar.
Singh was called into action for a rare time in added time when Sutherland truck low on the angle in what proved to be the last action of the second half.

AFC Rushden and Diamonds
Snedker, Hughes, Black, Grey, Pinto-Leite, Tee (Worsfold-Gregg 85), Corden (Hines 60), Hicks (c.), Akubuine, Cooper, Ngwa (Sutherland 72)
Subs (4 only): Connor

Singh, Curley (Hart 83). Cockerill-Mollett, Mussa, Dolman, Collard, Finn, Milnes (Bradley 58), Creaney (George 79), Deacon, Fairlamb
Subs: Fallows, Yeomans, Hawkins, Griffin
YC: Collard 50

Referee: Mr. K. Bartlett

Attendance: 401

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors