Tamworth  v  Hednesford Town

Sat 21 Jan - 14:00 Southern League Premier Central




Hednesford Town

Hednesford Town

Match Report

Following two away defeats which perhaps should have gathered more fruit than they did, Andy Peaks Lambs returned to the CR MOT Centre Community Stadium and welcomed A5 neighbours from Keys Park, Danny Glover’s Pitmen.

The Lambs last run out at home had resulted in a 3-0 victory over Alvechurch and the home faithful were looking for more of the same as the winter sun burnt off the low lying fog, while the low temperatures put paid to a number of fixtures around the league where the home team did not have a 3G surface, including those involving the chasing pack of Nuneaton, Coalville and Leiston.

Peaks made two changes to the side that went out of the FA Trophy at Hungerford Town the previous weekend as Ben Hart and Eoin McKeown came into the starting eleven, with Luke Fairlamb dropping to the bench, and Liam Dolman not featuring.

Kicking off at 2pm, the Lambs were an hour ahead of the rest of the League and Hednesford got the match underway in their sky blue and navy away kit attacking the Castle End in the first half.
The first chance of the game fell to Cockerill-Mollett when a deep freekicking landed at his feet in the box, but it bounced away from him before he or a teammate could get onto it and fire at the bright pink visiting keeper, Hollingshead.
Finn crossed from the right in the next move but McKeown’s header was obscured and went up onto the roof of the Meadow Street terrace but he didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring, taking the ball into the box with a deft turn and side footing it past the exposed keeper into the bottom left corner, in front of the visiting fans, to the delight of the home fans on the other three sides of The Lamb. (1-0 6 mins)
Creaney nearly beat the offside trap from Milnes through ball down the left on 13 but was called back as he got to the box with just the keeper ahead of him, and he nearly connected with a dropping high ball into the area on 17 but the Pitmen clawed it away from him and the chance was gone.
It was nearly 2-0 when Finn saw his shot on the turn turned behind past he far post on 22 for a left sided corner and on no less than three occasions in quick succession from the flagkick, Creaney was denied by a combination of Hollingshead being in the right position or a well placed defensive boot.
And it proved to give the visitors a boost as in an attack in the 27ht minute Bennett picked his spot from the left of the D and fired into the bottom right corner with Singh unable to do anything about it. (1-1, 27 mins)
Payne forced a corner on the right on 30 which came to nothing, and Tamworth countered with McKeown darting into the area and appeared to be sandwiched out of play on 32, but no penalty was awarded when he hit the ground.
Finn provided the ammunition for McKeown on 35 but his header went a whisker wide of the mark, and Thorley was then booked for a foul on the Lambs number 11 on the halfway line on 37.
Bradley forced Hollingshead to push a low shot around the left hand post for a corner on 40 and although the initial flagkick was half cleared, the ball was played back in and Creaney powered it home at the far post to restore the advantage (2-1, 40 mins)
After Hednesford restarted play, the pushed forward and Payne fired strongly but straight at Singh as they looked for a quick response but after Parker had been booked The Lambs took control.
First Creaney fired home past Hollingshead on 45 to make it 3-1, and then the Lambs number nine turned provider as although his lob looked to be going in the keeper got his fingers to it and it bounced invitingly for McKeown to head home. (4-1, 45+1 mins)

HT 4-1

The 4-1 leading Lambs restarted the game attacking the Castle End where the sun was slowly dropping behind the terracing and McKeown’s early shot nearly dropped over the keeper but fell just wide of the mark and he nearly set up Creaney in the next move but the latter’s back heel did not trouble the keeper too much.
Singh denied a goalbound effort from a free strike from Redfern on 53 with a parry and collect and at the other end a mazy run from McKeown set up Finn but his effort from 6 yards was booted off the line around the post and the corner cleared on 58.
McKeown did manage to add another and secure his hattrick with a low finish from 18 yards five minutes later (5-1, 63 mins), a couple of minutes before his striking partner made way for Deacon.
Deacon took no time in making it 6 with a close range finish from a Collard header into the box from a corner (6-1, 68 mins) and Collard then struck the bar with a powerful header on 71.
At the end of a purposeful move down the right, Finn received the ball on the edge of the D and struck low past Hollingshead to make it seven (7-1, 76 mins)
Deacon added another from close range on 82 (8-1) and then Collard headed home from 6 yards out (9-1, 85 mins) as the pressure didn’t let up.

Singh, Curley, Cockerill-Mollett, Mussa, Collard (c.), Hart, Finn, Milnes, Creaney (Deacon 65), Bradley, McKeown
Subs: Fairlamb, Clement, George, Cater

Hednesford Town
Hollingshead, Ludford-Ison, Morley, Thorley, Kaninda, Redfern, Bennett, Parker, O’Sullivan, McQuilkin (Portman HT), Payne
Subs: Agustien, Asomugha, Tilt, WIlliams
YC: Thorley 37, Parker 44

Referee: Mr. Jackson
Assistants: Mr. Haywood & Mr. Timperley

Att: 905

MOM: Chosen by DT Engineering: Eoin McKeown

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors