Tamworth  v  Leamington

Sat 17 Dec - 15:00 FA Trophy 3RP






Match Report

Following back-to-back wins on the road, The Lambs returned to the CR MOT Centre Community Stadium, for their Isuzu FA Trophy 3rd Round Proper tie against The Brakes, in a game sponsored by the stadium sponsors themselves, with £4,500 of FA Prize Fund up for grabs to the side that progressed, and £1,250 to the side that didn’t.

With ice cold temperatures around the country, only five of sixteen FA Trophy matches went ahead as frozen pitches postponed matches at all levels, and so Andy Peaks’ side welcomed Paul Holleran’s mid table National League North Leamington side onto the 3G surface, as the winter sun tried to melt the ground frost away from well-trodden paths, with limited success.

There was one change to the side that ran out against Ilkeston, with Alex Jones sitting out following injury at the New Manor Ground, on the visitor’s side, a number of ex-Lambs featured in the squad – Connor Taylor, Dan Turner, Joe Clarke and Jack Lane.

Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street End in the first half but it was visiti9ng captain Edwards with the first sight on goal, striking low at Singh although the pace was taken away by a partial block on the way through and The Lambs first strike at Hawkins came on 10 minutes from Mussa, but his low curled shot was easy for the keeper to gather.
Turner received the ball in Singh’s box on 16 and tried an shot over his shoulder, which cleared the goal without troubling the keeper.
At the other end, a flowing move ended with Fairlamb’s cross from the left being put behind for a corner but a foul from the flagkick halted play.
And then a foul on Milnes set up the same player to launch a deep freekick into the area which Creaney headed down and Cockerill-Mollett pounced on to drive home low into the back of the net from 18 yards (1-0, 20 mins)
Tamworth enjoyed more of the ball from then on but on 28 Turner was released one on one by a ball over the top from Lane, and under pressure from Collard his attempted lob over Singh from the edge of the area fell a long way wide of the target.
There were shouts from the crowd for a penalty when Finn appeared to be upended by Clarke as he made headway into the right of the area on 32, and then Leamington advanced to the Castle End, as Kelly-Edwards headed wide of the near post from Meredith’s right sided cross.
After another Leamington attack had ended with the ball striking the crossbar as the offside flag was raised, Creaney picked up a booking on 36 for continually discussing matters with the officials.
And then Collard was brought down by another foul by Edwards which brought the visiting captain a booking for his efforts.
A niggle on Bradley set him up with the deadball from the resulting freekick on 40 but his strike cam back off the wall, and Leamington worked down field, with a freekick of their own on 42 and it was headed off target by Edwards from a central position.
As two minutes added time was shown, Mussa was booked for a foul in the centre circle before the whistle blew with The Lambs holding the initiative.

HT 1-0

Leamington restarted proceedings but it was The Lambs who maintained possession for longer periods in the opening exchanges as the sun and the temperature dropped.
Cockerill-Mollett sent a deep cross into the area on 49 but it was just too high for Creaney to connect effectively with it, and he turned provider for Finn on 51 but it was nipped away from him for a corner on the right which Milnes took but it was scrambled away.
Kelly-Evans struck for goal from 25 yards on 53 only to see it curl up and over the target into the travelling support on the terrace, and then Creaney burst through down the right and his cross was put behind for another flagkick, but a foul halted proceedings.
Leamington forced their first corner on 55 and Kelly -Evans flagkick was headed away and allowed The Lambs to push forwards ending with a Curley cross and Cockerill-Mollett shot from the left of the area which went over the crossbar.
A flowing move down the left resulted in a Fairlamb ball into the feet of Creaney on 58 but he got tangled up and the chance faded.
A shot by Fairlamb was put over for a corner on the left on the hour, and Hawkins punched it clear.
His opposite number was called into action on 62 when a whipped in ball from the right came off a combination of Edwards shot and Dolman’s reaction and Singh pushed it away with a reflex save to deny the equaliser but he was unable to do anything about Turner’s header from a similar cross and position on 65 which sneaked under his dive and outstretched arms to level the tie (1-1, 65 mins)
A low strike from Milnes forced Hawkins into a save on 69 with Creaney following up, and the forward appeared to be brought down on the edge of the area in next move but his claims for a penalty were waved away by the referee.
Milnes tried his luck again on 70 but fired on the angle, just past the post from outside the area.
Both sides made their first change of the game on 73 and Reid slammed a shot off target from the right on 78 but it took a touch for a Leamington corner which was headed just wide of the far post by Lane.
Milnes put The Lambs back in the driving seat on 83 with a low strike from 18 yards which crept past Hawkins and inside the left hand post after a knock down by Creaney to lift the roof on The Shed and warm the voices of the home faithful. (2-1, 83 mins)
Although initially, slipping on the way Fairlamb sent the ball over for McKeown on the opposite side on 85 and his cross found the head of Creaney but he was unable to get it on target.
The Lambs continued to press and forced a couple of corners in quick succession but Leamington defended strongly and five minutes added time was shown at the end of the second half.
Despite The Brakes trying to get the ball into the Tamworth half The Lambs managed the time remaining effectively, defending strongly when required until the whistle blew on a place in the next round.

Singh, Curley, Cockerill-Mollett, Mussa, Collard (c.), Dolman, Finn (McKeown 73), Milnes, Creaney, Bradley, Fairlamb (George 89)
Subs: Fallows, Hart, Deacon, Alabi, Clement
YC: Creaney 36, Mussa 45

Hawkins, Meredith, Hall, Clarke, Street, Lane, Cross (Reid 73), Walker (Owen 86), Turner, Edwards (c.), Kelly-Evans
Subs: Slater, English, Taylor, Mace, Sang
YC: Edwards 38

Referee: Mr. Richard HOLMES
AR: Mr. Brandon Scaife
AR: Mr. Harley Hetherington
4: Mr. Harry Hudson

Att: 769

MOM: Match Sponsors CR MOT Centre chose Liam Dolman

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors