Tamworth  v  Coalville Town

Sat 27 Aug - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central




Coalville Town

Coalville Town

Match Report

Matchday 05:

With the unbeaten run now standing at 18 games (17 for Andy Peaks) and on the back of the 8-1 away demolition of Bedford Town The Lambs welcomed the Ravens to The CR MOT Community Stadium for a what would be a very tough test.

Coalville, who missed out on promotion via the playoffs last season, sat at the top of the league ahead of kick off with 10 points from 4 games while Andy Peaks’ Lambs had recorded 8 out of a possible 12 and Peaks made no changes to the side that ran out seven days previously at The New Eyrie looking for more of the same in front of the Bank Holiday weekend crowd.

Coalville got the game underway with Tamworth attacking the Meadow Street End and the first chance came on 3 minutes for Creaney who flashed a header from a combination of Finn and Deacon, at White in the visitors goal.
Milnes put a telling challenge in on Shaw on the edge of Singh’s box on 5 and The Lambs responded with Fairlamb finding Creaney on the edge of the Ravens area and his flick to Deacon forced the visiting defence to be strong to prevent a clean shot.
Shaw was sandwiched on the left corner of the area on 6 setting up a freekick for Shaw and his deadball flew into the back of the net with Singh unable to prevent it despite getting a hand to it (0-1, 7 mins)
Shaw caused a few more problems on 8 with Mussa and Curley having to work hard to prevent his left sided strike and Curley’s long throw on 10 nearly fell for Cockerill-Mollett but was cleared away by Wilson at the far post.
Finn forced White into a flying one handed stop to his left on 13 from a shot that was destined for the top left ’bin’ and Shaw tried similarly at the other end as Coaville countered but he didn’t get his strike from the left on target but the visitors did double their lead on 16 through a low strike from Berridge, converting Chambers’ low ball from the left into the centre (0-2, 16 mins)
Creaney forced White into a low stop on 18 and Deacon flowed in but his prod goalward was smothered and cleared and from a corner Creaney and Deacon looked for the target with header and half volleys but the Meadow Street End goal survived another attack.
After a brief stoppage in play following injury to White and a drinks break in the August sun, Tamworth restarted strongly with Curley finding the head of Finn and his flock on was turned goalward by Deacon but blocked out for a corner on 26.
Finn was fouled a couple of yards out of the edge of the area on 32 setting up Milnes with the deadball to the right of the D and although his powerful freekick was parried by White the keeper couldn’t react quick enough to prevent Cockerill-Mollett from stealing in and firing home from close range (1-2, 32 mins)
The Lambs kept on with the pressure and Fairlamb’s run down into the left channel earned a corner on the left which White had to push away for a corner on the right and Cockerill-Mollett’s header was blocked at the far post and cleared, giving the Ravens some respite.
Coaville did threaten on 44 when Berridge chipped forwards for McGlinchey, but Singh was well positioned and smothered his first touch shot from 6 yards which looked like it could well have beaten him on another day in the final action of the half.

HT 1-2

The Lambs got the game back underway and immediately forced a right sided throw which Curley sent in, but Creaney was beaten to it and Coalville cleared their lines.
Curley was involved again on 48 with a long deadball onto the head of Collard but it went straight back to White without further challenge.
Dolman and McGlinchey met chasing the loose ball on 50 and the latter came off worse, but despite the calls for a penalty by the visiting faithful on the Meadow Street terrace the referee waved away any claims.
Creaney unleashed a powerful left boot on the dropping ball in the left of the area on 53 but it was high and wide of the mark and McGlinchey did similarly but from the right in the next move.
Deacon got closer the prize than the previous two attempts on 55 with a low strike past the diving White but also past the left hand upright by a yard or so.
Chambers was booked for dissent on 55 despite his side being awarded the freekick and although nothing came of the deadball the noise in the ground definitely increased from there on with both sets of fans singing in support.
After Creaney had flicked on for Cockerill-Mollett, but his shot went over the bar, Fairlamb was adjudged to have fouled McGlinchey on the Coalville right wing to set up a freekick for Putman which he sent from the right into the top left corner to extend their lead (1-3, 62 mins)
Cockerill=Mollett was booked for pulling back Wilson as he went past him by the right corner flag on 65 and Milnes scooped the deadball away from danger.
Tamworth forced a throw on the right and Collard received the ball but he was unable to turn it home, with Deacon also unable to fire the rebound through a crowd of players.
Both sides made a change after the 70 minute mark as McKeown replacing Cockerill-Mollett and in the first move Creaney saw his shot blocked and then Collard headed wide of the mark when well placed.
McKeown whipped the ball into the box from the left on 75 but neither Deacon nor Creaney could get a touch to send it past White and a freekick for Finn on 77 flashed through the box without any interaction as the minutes ticked away.
Jones replaced Deacon with 10 remaining bringing fresh legs into the Lambs attack however, it was left to Shaw to make absolutely sure of the result with a close range finish after McGlinchley had weaved his way through the right and laid a simple ball for Shaw to side foot past the stranded Singh (1-4, 88 mins)
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the season half but there was no further action and Coalville duly celebrated their unbeaten start to the season, while Andy Peaks’ squad would look to quickly turn things around at Alvechurch on Bank Holiday Monday.

Singh, Curley, Cockerill-Mollett (McKeown 72), Mussa, Dolman, Collard (c.), Finn, Milnes, Creaney, Deacon (Jones 79), Fairlamb
Subs: Hurst, Bradley, Clement
YC: Cockerill-Mollett 65

Coalville Town
White, Dean, Putman, Wilson, Robertson, Smith, Shaw (Taylor 89), Doyle-Charles (c.), Berridge (Chitiza 71), Chambers (Kee 88), McGlinchley
Subs: Ogunmekan, Thanoj
YC: Chambers 55

Referee: Mr. Richard Eley

Attendance: 718

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors