Tamworth  v  Rushall Olympic

Tue 16 Aug - 19:45 Southern League Premier Central




Rushall Olympic

Rushall Olympic

Match Report

Matchday 03:

As the country recovered from a mini heatwave and light showers covered Tamworth, on the back of two comeback 1-1 draws Andy Peaks’ side returned to the CR MOT Community Stadium to take on one time Lambs player Liam McDonald’s Pics side who had not managed to score in their opening two fixtures.

The Lambs went into the tie 16 unbeaten and Peaks made two changes to the side that secured a point at Stourbridge at the weekend with George Cater not featuring and Eoin McKeown on the bench as Callum Cockerill-Mollett and James Hurst got their first starts of the season.

The visitors started proceedings attacking the Castle End in the first half but it was The Lambs who had the first chances via torpedo throw from Matt Curley which earned a corner on the right, which Weaver rose highest to catch at his near post.
On 5 Hurst flicked the ball into the danger area with the outside of his boot, but Finn was unable to test the keeper with his first time shot.
Then after a dangerous cross was put behind for a corner, Milnes flagkick curled over the top over everyone and nestled sweetly inside the near post to give his side their first lead of the season. (1-0, 8 mins)
The visitors pressed from the restart and the Lambs lead didn’t last long as Mantom turned his covering defender 8 yards out and beat Singh with a low shot into the far corner (1-1, 13 mins)
Milnes picked up the ball from an incisive pass from Cockerill-Mollett on 15 and aimed for the bottom right corner but Weaver was able to push it away and the keeper was able to smother a low strike from Finn on 19 after a good interplay with Creaney.
Picking up the ball from a corner on 28 Finn struck low from 18 yards and Weaver managed to get down to prevent him restoring the lead, and as storm clouds brewed but didn’t break above the Kettlebrook area neither side was able to take the initiative, trying shots from distance without testing either keeper.
Finn loaded a freekick from midway into the Pics half on 35 and Weaver punched it away off the head of Collard for Curley to launch into the box from the left, but despite sustained possession Rushall defended strongly and were able to clear the danger.
When Hurst went down under a challenge on the halfway line on 40 he required attention from the Lambs physio, and it earned Batchelor a booking for his actions.
A low strike from Parry forced Singh into a low stop shortly before 2 minutes added time was shown and Tamworth threw everything forward in first half added time, which nearly saw Milnes net a second from a corner but his flagkick dropped onto the top of the net this time.

HT 1-1

As the heavens opened and after a change in personnel for Olympic The Lambs restarted proceedings but it was Batchelor with the first chance, rifling a close range strike again Singh’s bar on 48.
A low cross from the right by Atherton on 52 was turned behind off Dolman’s ankles and the corner and the Lambs defender tried to boot the ball away from inside the box but it fell to Masidi whose shot cannoned out for another corner.
Tamworth restored their earlier advantage though on 55 following a foul by the goalscorers - Mantom on Milnes and the freekick cannoned up off the cross bar and down for Cockerill-Mollett to get his head onto and divert into the top of the goalmouth (2-1, 55 mins)
Cockerill-Mollett nearly set up a third for Tamworth on 59 and in fact his ball from the left wing was inch perfect for Creaney in the six yard box but Weaver was in the right place to stop his goalbound touch.
As the rain continued to fall The Lambs number 3 and Finn then combined to set up Creaney with a shot on the turn on the hour that whistled just wide of the mark.
McKeown replaced Cockerill-Mollett with just over 20 to go and Fairlamb slotted back into the defensive role but still managed to whip a ball in from the left on 69 which the visitors defence got to before Creaney.
A combination of rain soaked play forced a corner on the right for Finn on 71 but McKeown couldn’t keep his header down.
The Lambs leftback cleared the danger from a Rushall press on 73 and Singh got a rare second half touch, catching the ball at height.
McKeown’s shot on the turn then deflected out for a flagkick on the left as Tamworth enjoyed more possession and space as a visibly tired Hurst was replaced by the fresh legs of Clement on 75.
Mussa’s sliding challenge was sightly mistimed and he was booked for his efforts shortly before Deacon came on for Creaney.
Finn was booked for throwing the ball away from a Rushall throw-in with ten to go and there was a brief stoppage in play when Mussa went down with cramp, and with all subs used it needed the attention of the physio.
Deacon latched onto the ball on the hallway line on 87 and tried to make his way past Whittall but was dragged back, so the Rushall player was booked, and Masidi felled Clement by the left corner.
And it proved to be a fruitless foul as the freekick was headed firmly home from close range by McKeown (3-1, 88 mins)
Rushall substitute Moore headed a cross from the left wing at Singh as the clock ticked into added time and Campbell forced him to catch a strongly struck shot from distance on 93 in the final action of the match.

Singh, Curley, Cockerill-Mollett (McKeown 68), Mussa, Dolman, Collard (c.), Finn, Milnes, Creaney (Deacon 78), Hurst (Clement 75), Fairlamb
Subs: Jones, Cater
YC: Mussa 77, Finn 80

Rushall Olympic
Weaver, Green, Mitchell, Thorley (Campbell 66), Lowe, Whittall, Atherton, Manton, Masidi, Parry, Batchelor (Shorrock 66)
Subs: Harper-Bailey, Fletcher
YC: Batchelor 40, Whittall 87

Referee: Mr. M. Perry

Attendance: 517

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors