Stourbridge  v  Tamworth

Sat 13 Aug - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central






Match Report

Matchday 02: PHOTOS on FLICKR

The Lambs travelled to the War Memorial Athletic Ground home of the Glassboys of Stourbridge for the second league fixture of the campaign looking to build on the comeback point gained seven days previously at The Lamb.

The last time the two sides met at the WMAG the home side ran out 4-0 winners in the final outing for the previous Lambs management set up, and with the heatwave hitting the UK, Tamworth sported the new cool sky blue Kappa away for the first time as Andy Peaks made one change to the side that drew with Ilkeston with George Cater replacing Alex Bradley in the starting eleven looking to make it 15 unbeaten since taking charge in 2021-22 ahead of kick off.

Tamworth started the game kicking towards the clubhouse end of the WMAG, with the cricket pitch on their left, and sent the ball straight out for a Stourbridge throw and after a minute or two of battling for possession Knights drilled a shot from 25 yards wide of the left hand post with Singh not troubled.
Vaughan forced a right sided corner which floated to the back of the box and was headed back in for Colwey to prod past Singh from close range (1-0, 5 mins)
Reid struck from the edge of the area on 11 and Singh spilled his chest height shot before recovering, as the home side kept control and forced another corner on the right via Vaughan’s blocked cross.
Tamworth’s first half chance came on 14 when former Lamb Kettle was beaten to the ball by Finn and the resulting ball into was met by McKeown but cleared and from the corner Finn’s cross was headed well by Dolman but Price was positioned to catch the on target effort.
Cater was just a yard off side on 15 in the box latching onto a fine through ball into space, with the goal at his mercy, and the Collard tripped Reid for a freekick in the left channel 25 yards from goal.
Former Lambs Knights floated the freekick to the far post and Kettle met it unmarked but put his touch wide of the post.
There was a necessary drinks break on 21 for the players, and photographers out in the sun, and after the restart Curley conceded a throw on the left wing which lead to a foul by Collard on Cowley in a similar position to the last Knights’ deadball which he could only fire into the wall.
There was a game of penalty box pinball on 28 which The Lambs only just won with a desperate clearance toward the half way line, and on 30 Knights threaded it through to Cowley but the ball was too strong and Singh got their first.
Stourbridge were forced to play with a man short from the remainder from 32, when Moore put a strong reckless challenge on McKeown on the halfway line and the referee had no hesitation in showing him the red card amongst a crowd of players which also lead to Price picking up a booking.
Finn picked up the ball int of the right of the box on 39 and pulled it across for McKeown but Price was equal to the lose ball.
A Lambs freekick fell to Collard on 41 and he turned on the dropping ball but it bounced past the right hand post as five minutes added time were shown at end of the first half.
Milnes picked up a booking for a late challenge on Wilson on the edge of the Glassboys box and when The Lambs broke forward a move or two later, Price caught a back header from Vaughan at his near post in the final action of the first half.

HT 1-0

The home side restarted the game and kept possession for the opening exchanges and when Tamworth pushed forwards a foul by Vaughan on McKeown on the left wing earned the home captain a booking.
Milnes loaded the dead ball and a handball in the area by the home defence meant the referee pointed to the spot for a Lambs penalty which Creaney lined up and fired past Price to level the tie (1-1, 52 mins)
King prodded the ball goalward from the left of the area on 56 with Singh out of position and it rolled past the far post by just a few feet much to his and the home faithful’s agony.
At times it was difficult to tell that Stourbridge were a man down and Reid made headway into the area on 65 but was eventually blocked before he could get space to shoot.
Milnes then saw his chipped cross to the far post headed behind for a corner on the right on 66 and Price punched it away which allowed a drinks break to be called.
Fairlamb was upended twice in quick succession and the second by Wilson set Milnes up with the deadball on the left and his deep freekick found Collard but he nodded the ball well wide of the mark.
Despite the numerical disadvantage the home side were working very hard to close everything down and give Tamworth little time to think. Knights was then booked for a foul on The Lambs number 3 and Milnes tried again from a similar position in the left channel but Hull went down in the box under a crowd of players and play was halted as the ball dropped goalward.
Singh tried to set up Creaney with a long boot upfield on 76 but if bounced and fell into the arms of Price in his six yard box, and then McKeown forced a corner on the left and Cater was replaced by Deacon before the flagkick took place.
Dolman had to think quickly to deny the duo of Cowley and Reid getting to the ball first as former Lamb Mills joined for the final 10 or so.
Creaney nearly found McKeown with a low cross from the right on 84 and the latter was brought to the ground in the centre of the park on 85 by King who picked up the Glassboys 5th card of the day and McKeown was unable to continue to Clement came on for the remainder.
Creaney released Finn down the right and a corner resulted from the blocked cross which Finn himself took, only for Creaney head it against the outside of the post from the back of the box, a good yard or two past the woodwork.
The Lambs nearly snatched it in the 90th minute when Deacon found himself through against Price but the home keeper did well to get a boot to it and prevent the goalbound shot rolling home.
Mussa was then booked for pulling Knights back and there was just time for one final corner as the clock ticked into the 97th minute. Finn lifted the right sided kick onto the head of Creaney, but under pressure he nodded it down into the ground and it bounced up and over the target before the final whistle blew.

Price, Vaughan (c.), Wilson, Gittings, Kettle, Hull, King, Moore, Cowley, Knights (Koita 90), Reid (Mills 83)
Subs: Knight, Worley, Moran
YC: Price 34, Vaughan 50, Knights 72, King 85
RC: Moore 32

Singh, Curley, Fairlamb, Mussa, Collard (c.), Dolman, Cater (Deacon 79), Milnes, Creaney, Finn, McKeown (Clement 87)
Subs: Jones, Hurst, Cockerill-Mollett
YC: Milnes 45, Mussa 90

Referee: Mr. Niall Smith

Att: 522

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors