Tamworth  v  Nuneaton Borough

Thu 20 Apr - 19:45 Southern League Premier Central




Nuneaton Borough

Nuneaton Borough

Match Report

On Tuesday night, Coaville defeated Alvechurch at Lye Meadow 3-0 to take them back to the top of the Southern Premier League table. 48 hours later, Tamworth, playing behind closed doors, kicked off their rearranged game against A5 rivals Nuneaton Borough knowing that a 1-0 would put them level but second in the table while a win by more than one goal would take them back top, and would set up an incredibly tense afternoon on the final day of the season, less than 48 hours later.

Andy Peaks’ Lambs lined up with no changes to starting eleven that defeated third placed Leiston 3-1 at the CR MOT Community Stadium weekend and came out to the usual entrance tune over the tannoy, but without the usual roar of the crowd to accompany them as fans huddled around internet radios for live commentary.

Meikle, one of two Lambs players (the other being Singh) who had played in the behind closed doors FA Cup tie away at Oxford City kicked off the game towards the Castle End, the most prolific end of the ground in the 2022-23 season.
The first shot of the game came from Finn on 3 but it was a low strike without enough power to test Breeden and a similar strike from McKeown made it way back to the keeper on 4.
Hart blocked a Waite through pass on 8 and released Tamworth down the right channel through Creaney and McKeown, ended with Finn’s cross from the right finding McKeown and Breeden was forced to push his angled drive on target over the bar.
A foul on 9 set up Finn with a freekick from the right wing but it was too long for Collard at the far post, and then on 12 Meikle sent Hart down the right but his low cross for Creaney was cut out and cleared to the far right and the long throw bounced was flicked on and headed home powerfully at the far post by Willetts and the fans watching from a neighbouring garden were jubilant in the ir celebrations! (1-0, 13 mins)
It was nearly 2 on 15 when Finn’s corner was met by the head of Collard, but it flashed wide of the far post but Creaney picked up a booking when he clashed with Magunda on 18 and the visiting defender hit the deck as if shot by a sniper.
A low freekick from Hart was turned behind for another flagkick on 24 and the same player found Collard but his header past the far post was smothered by Breeden and Creaney found himself with time to shoot from the edge of the area on 24 and tried a snap shot which beat Breeden but went a yard wide of the right hand post too.
The Lambs continued to press Borough back and go in search of another goal, and Jellis’ low ball into the box was cleared by Storer, but there was no stopping the strike from Creaney on 31.
He chased a ball down the left of the area and struck it so powerfully that Breeden dived pointlessly after it nearly took the roof of the net out (2-0, 31 mins)
McKeown went alone into the area on 35 and it was two against five when Nuneaton managed to get the ball off him conceding a throw by the clubhouse which was cleared, but a Tamworth continued in the same vein until Hart needed treatment for a blood injury so play had to be stopped for a short while and it took a moment for him to be allowed back into the play.
Benbow was penalised for a high boot on Collard on 39 and when the ball fell to Cockerill-Mollett his powerful strike was blocked and cleared for a corner by Magunda and the flag kick caused problems, but neither Collard not Creaney could force it over the line.
Collard went close again on 42 but his header from Finn’s freekick whipped past the far post and a rare chance presented itself on 43 from Storer’s freekick which found McWilliams but he flashed his shot from the right of Singh’s box past the far post too.
As the game went into three minutes added time at the end of the first half The Lambs forced another corner, which was cleared but only as far as McKeown who saw his shot from 18 yards blocked and then to Finn but he was denied from a similar distance too.

HT 2-0

The visitors made three changes before starting the second half as The Lambs attacked the Meadow Street end and a handful of faces watched and sang from the adjoining garden once again.
And then on 49 The Lambs made it 3-0 after battling the ball back in midfield to send it into the box for a virtually free, but needfully powerful strike past Breeden from 12 yards out for his 40th goal of the season (3-0, 49 mins)
The visitors started to enjoy a little more space in the next few minutes and Tamworth were forced to defend more than they had all game but broke away on 58 through McKeown who was sent to the ground by McWilliams who was booked for his efforts.
Hart’s freekick found Collard at the back of the box, but Breeden was happy to watch it go wide of the mark.
Collard found Willets with a deft header into the box on 62 but Breeden was well position to take the looping effort, and at the other end Collard did just enough to take a long ball away from the run of Stenson and allow Singh to boot it away from the incoming forward.
Cater replaced McKeown with 25 remaining, and a neat one two with Creaney saw the later thread the ball to Deacon on the left of the box on 71 for his to strike at goa but his shot rose over the corner of bar and post.
There was a lengthy around 72 stoppage when Rowe-Turner needed treatment and when play resumed Benbow was booked for booting the ball away.
Rowe-Turner was again unable to play on 79 and had treatment for cramp on the field once again, as Mussa, Andy Peaks first signing, from Nuneaton, replaced Creaney.
On 83 Finn whipped the ball and it was just too high for Deacon’s boot and just too low for his head
Benbow unleashed a rasping drive from 25 yards on 85 which took a deflection for a corner on the right, but he was unable to control the ball from the flagkick at the back of the box and the chance was lost.
Jellis was upended by Medrano on 86 who was booked, and from Finn’s freekick Tamworth pushed forwards, but the ball went out of play and so Clement came on for Deacon on 89.
And he nearly bagged a goal but was pushed wide by Brededen, however he managed to get it back to Jellis who saw his goalbound shot blocked on route to the target.
Five minutes added time was shown as Singh was booked for timewasting a goalkick, and the minutes and second wound down to full time as The Lambs ended the night in top spot, with an identical playing record to, but crucially a goal difference two better than, Coalville in second place ahead of the trip to Redditch United on Saturday.

Singh, Hart, Cockerill-Mollett, Meikle, Willets, Collard (c.), Finn, Jellis, Creaney (Mussa 80), Deacon (Clement 89), McKeown (Cater 65)
Subs: Dolman, Curley
YC: Creaney 18, Singh 90

Nuneaton Borough
Breeden, McWilliams, Medrano, Beswick (c.) (Noble HT), Magunda, Benbow, Storer, Waite (Stenson HT), Mancinelli, Dinanga (Dowd HT), Rowe-Turner
Subs: McManus, Chong
YC: McWilliams 59, Benbow 75, Medrano 86

Referee: Mr. Tarrant
Assistants: Mr. Grandison & Mr. Henderson

Att: Behind closed doors

MOM: Jamie Jellis

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

National League Sponsors