Belper Town  v  Tamworth

Sat 18 Sep - 15:00 FA Cup 2Q

Belper Town

Belper Town




Match Report

The Lambs have only ever played The Nailers of Belper Town in cup competitions over the years, twice in the FA Cup and five times in the FA Trophy.
With £3,3375 on offer to the winner of the 2nd Round Emirates FA Cup tie at Christchurch Meadow Tamworth were looking to record their third FA Cup victory over the home side and fielded a much changed line up with six players coming into the starting eleven that didn’t start or feature against Peterborough Sports on Tuesday night, as no less than seven of the squad were ruled out for one reason or another.

For the first 25 minutes or so it was a frustrating affair for the travelling supporters as the home side of the Northern Premier League Midlands division (one level below Tamworth) looked to be taking the initiative.
A cross from Woodcock found target man Margetts inside the second minute and Bertram fired at Singh from the edge of the area a couple of minutes later.
Jordan picked up a booking following a foul on Clement on 6 before a 30 yard right footed shot from Litchfield was dragged wide of the mark.
Nelthorpe let fly and cleared the target on 11 and Margetts fired over the bar on 13 after playing a neat 1-2 with Gregory down the right.
It looked like Belper would be first on the scoresheet on 15 when Howkins was adjudged to have brought down Margetts in the box and The Lambs fans nervously held their breath as the striker dusted himself down. He sent Singh to his right from the spot and the ball appeared to be going into the net but the Lambs keeper booted it away mid flight and preserved the cleansheet, in what turned out to be the turning point in the match. And it was bad news for Belper who we understand had only score one of seven previous penalties.
After a couple of more meaningful attacks by Belper and against the run of previous play, Taylor received the ball on the edge of the Nailers box on 25, turned his man and fired home from 12 yards to give Tamworth the lead (1-0, 25 mins)
From that moment The Lambs looked more alive with Taylor, Waite, Forde, Clement and Walters all pushing forward while the back line of Yeomans, Pendley, Howkins and Wilder all working hard to keep the home side at bay.
Tamworth got their rewards on 38 from the penalty spot following a tricky run from Walters into the left of the box and a pass to the feet of Taylor. Taylor was tripped and had to leave the field for treatment while Walters slammed home the spot-kick to the delight of his teammates and the travelling faithful. (2-0, 38 mins)
Forde continued to ensure his captains voice was heard above all and Tamworth went in at the break in control of the game, after shaking off the shaky start.

HT 0-2

The Lambs restarted the game, attacking the Christ church end of the ground in the second half, with the historic Mill over looking proceedings.
On 52 Clement pulled the ball back from the left and Taylor diverted a shot goalward but also past the right hand post, and then home keeper Battersby drove a freekick three quarters the length of the pitch trying to catch Singh off guard but the keeper was ready and equal to his ‘shot’ from distance.
Tamworth worked the ball forward in the next move and when Waite found his way through blocked he rolled the ball to Walters on the left of the area and his shot made its way into the back of the net past Battersby’s best efforts to keep it out (3-0, 55 mins).
After Concannon replaced Walters and his brace, Taylor bagged his second of the afternoon seemingly with ease. It came after Yeomans put a telling challenge in to halt a Belper attack on the left and Waite sent an almost inch perfect pass upfield to Taylor who beat his marker and then the keeper from 12 yards (4-0, 60 mins)
Olusemo came on for his Lambs debut on 63 for two goal Taylor, and a foul on Yeomans meant he couldn’t continue, brining Tait off the bench for the final 15 minutes.
Tamworth continued to look for more goals but had to deal with a home attack or two first, and so after Pendley had prevented Johnson’s shot and Singh had dealt with Peterson’s on target header on 77 the keeper sent the ball long for Tait to go one on one with Battersby and roll it into the net. (5-0, 81 mins)
A poor challenge by Nelthorpe on Tait a minute later earned the Belper player a booking, along with South and Pendley as tempers frayed a little and when play restarted Waite, Thomas, Tait and Olusemo attempted to add their names to the scoresheet but the final whistle blew and with it a place in the next round on the weekend of 2nd October.

Singh, Yeomans (Tait 76), Wilder, Force (c.), Pendley, Howkins, Waite, Thomas (Olusemo 63), Clement, Walters (Concannon 59)
Subs: Brogan, Riley, Fallows

YC: Howkins 15, Pendley 82

Battersby, Woodcock, Kozluk, Bertram, South, Wilson (Curtis HT), Litchfield, Gregory (Johnson 59), Margetts (Peterson 59), Jordan, Nelthorpe
Subs: Reeves, Hawkins

YC: South 82

Referee: Mr. A. Cox

Attendance: 820

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates