Tamworth  v  Leiston

Sat 23 Oct - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central






Match Report

After the midweek trip to Notts County, The Lambs returned home for a Southern League fixture against the Blues, the win over whom had rewarded the team with their continued FA Cup exploits against the National League side.

The Lambs now had three league games in hand over some clubs and knew that the nine points on offer over those games would effectively put them within touching distance of the top of the league. Both sides were just one outside the playoff positions before kick off, as Leiston themselves were on equal points, although they had played two games more.

Tamworth made three changes to the side that started at Meadow Lane with Dan Creaney not featuring, and Chris Cox, Mickey Taylor and Michael Tait all starting.

The Lambs kicked off the match attacking the Castle End in the first half and went on the attack from the first whistle but Waite’s cross was too long for Tait and then Mikey Taylor’s shot was taken by Donkin.
Switters got himself into a good position on the right wing 5 only to curl his cross over the head of Davies in the back of the box, and it was Davies that broke the deadlock in the 9th minute converting Dunbar’s low left wing cross past Singh with consummate ease (0-1, 9 mins)
Beswick tried to forge an opening from a corner on 10 but it was cleared effectively by the home defence and Leiston pushed forwards forcing a handful of flagkicks of their own.
Concannon struck from inside the area but it was easy for Donkin to gather at head height on 17 and Switters had a free header from a lofted pass on 18 which fell nicely for Singh to catch.
A cross from Wilder on 20 was nearly met by Taylor at the near post but he was beaten to it and Concannon’s corner was headed on by Taylor but skipped out past the far post.
Beswick’s freekick from the left on 23 was headed into the air by Pendley and Donkin rose highest to claim it as Tait bore down on him at the far post.
Cox worked hard to keep the ball in play on the right on 27 and found Taylor but the Leiston defence cleared after his strong first touch, and when Donkin came out of his area to clear a Lambs attack on 30, Taylor was unable to get to the loose ball to take advantage of his absence between the posts.
Singh prevented Mills from finishing at the far post on 33 with a stop with his feet, but the Lambs keeper was unable to stop Mills doubling the lead when his shot from the left channel deflected off Cox and went in off the underside of the bar on 36 (0-2, 36 mins)
Thomas was booked for clipping the ankles of Quantrell as he advanced downfield, and despite continuing on his run play was brought back when Leiston lost possession.
Tait crossed from the left and found the head of Concannon on 43 but he couldn’t direct it on target and when Taylor prodded the ball across the six yard box it was just to long for the Lambs number 7 who was unable to drag it back off the byline.
As half time drew to a close Tamworth pushed on but seemed unable to get a foot hold on the game and Marsden nearly added a third goal but Singh pushed it away for a corner as the half time whistle blew.

HT 0-2

Tamworth made two changes at the break, with McDonald making his first appearance since picking up injury in on the opening day of the season, while Yeomans came in at right back in his first run out since injury, and Leiston restarted the game.
Tamworth were more positive in the opening exchanges and Pendley’s header from a Beswick freekick on 50 was on target, but smothered by Donkin.
Wilder’s cross from the left was then headed away from Waite by Odelusi and The Lambs continued to keep the visitors pressed back in their own half.
McDonald was tumbled down by Odeluse 25 yards out on 57 and Beswick stepped up, left footed, but curled it just over the bar and into the away end.
Waite received the ball in the box on the hour and side footed his covering defender but saw his shot from 12 yards blocked with just the keeper to beat.
Saunders used his head of steam to advance from left back to force a left sided corner on 64 but Marsden’s strike from 25 yards curled high over the target.
Saunders was booked for a foul on Yeomans on 67, and from the ensuing play down the right McDonald picked up the ball in the box and struck home powerfully past Donkin at the second attempt (1-2, 67 mins)
Two freekicks in quick succession, both against Yeomans gave the visitors sight on goal but both times the Tamworth defence held strong.
Pendley’s long ball into the area was headed behind for a left sided corner on 74 which Donkin punched clear and Leiston broke, but Yeomans was on hand to deny the run of Davies.
Singh punched a Leiston corner clear on 79, but in the ensuring play Pendley was adjudged to have handled a thumping shot from outside the area, was booked for his efforts, and Davies duly converted the spot kick (1-3, 80 mins)
Taylor, with the all at his feet, seemed to be brought down on 82, but no penalty was given, and Thomas struck a dropping shot on the volley on 83 but it was deflected out for a corner which came to nothing.
Donkin was booked for timewasting on 83 and Walters replaced Thomas a minute later and despite a concerted effort from all concerned Leiston were not in a mood to concede again, and the final whistle blew on defeat, in a game which had been lost in the first half and chased in the second.

Singh, Cox (Yeomans HT), Wilder, Beswick (capt.), Pendley, Riley, Concannon, Thomas (Walters 84), Taylor, Tait (McDonald HT), Waite
Subs: Forde, Hart

YC: Thomas 41, Pendley 80

Donkin, Marsden, Dunbar (capt.), Saunders, Odelusi, Hutchings, Barnes, Quantrell, Davies, Switters (Ocran 55), Mills
Subs (4 only): Hunter, Eagle, Bailey-Dennis

YC: Saunders 67, Donkin 83

Referee: Mr Mark Pearson

Attendance: 513

Match Sponsors – The friends and family of Eric Clayton

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates