Rushall Olympic  v  Tamworth

Sat 9 Oct - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central

Rushall Olympic

Rushall Olympic




Match Report

On the back of the FA Cup victory and looking ahead to the visit of Notts County in a weeks time, The Lambs made the short journey up the A5 followed by a quick left at Muckley corner to land at Dales Lane, the home of The Pics.

Tamworth fans turned up in their droves with the main topic of conversation the visit of the Magpies, but there was a job to be done in the league first, and what a game it turned out to be.

Rushall kicked off proceedings and were quick into their stride, taking the game to the Lambs.
From a right sided corner in the second minute Glover fired high over the bar, and the same player forced Singh to come out and defend his box while Forde put the necessary boot in to prevent further attacks.
Brown went down after just six minutes and brought Riley into the game in an unplanned early substitution and Mitchell tried his luck with a left footed shot over the bar from the right while The Lambs regrouped.
A jinking run from Coyle resulted in a left footed strike wide of the far right hand pot on 9 and it wasn’t until 14 that Tamworth started to see the goal.
Waite, Hart and Forde combined before the ball fell to Creaney but he lifted his shot over the bar and Walters made a darting run down the left in the next move but shot low at Palmer who smothered it.
As Tamworth looked to push on, Beswick tried to release Waite but his ball was just too long for him to reach and Rushall countered and Whittall fired wide on 18 while Moore blazed wide of the mark on 22.
Thomas his a rising shot over the bar on 23 and the best chance for The Lambs came following a foul by Clarke on Creaney who was stopped him advancing over the halfway line in pursuit of a ball over the top.
Beswick sent the freekick into the box and Pendley got his head to it but it went just wide of the mark then, at the other end, Rushall failed to capitalise when well positioned and a miskick in front of goal gave the Lambs a lifeline.
Creaney was brought down by Thorley on 32 and after the players calmed down both were shown cards. Beswick’s deep freekick was dropped by Palmer, but Creaney’s shot was blocked.
Rushall carried on with their attacking intent on Singh’s goal without really threatening to score and when Tamworth created a chance they couldn’t take it, none more so when Walters worked himself into the box with the whole goal to aim at in front of him, but lifted his shot over the target.
Pendley was booked for a foul on Glover just outside the area on 40 and despite some positive attacking play from The Lambs the half drew to a close and the score line remained 0-0.

HT 0-0

Tamworth restarted the game and Forde saw his name go in the book on 50 after a foul on Batchelor in the centre circle.
Pendley glanced a header wide of the mark on 54 while he and his fellow defenders put everything behind the ball to keep Singh as protected as possible.
Thomas was brought down just past the hour mark and Beswick’s freekick deflected to a grateful Palmer and at the other end, Mitchell found Parry in the area a minute later but he too cleared the bar from 8 yards out.
Concannon came into the fray for the hardworking Walters on 63 as Olympic poured forwards out of the their own half resulting in Coyle striking a shot wide of the mark.
Hart, in his first game back from injury, was replaced by new signing Currie on 67 in a straight swap at right back and Singh was forced to push the ball over the bar on 72 when Moore supplied Coyle with the ammunition.
Tamworth exerted some pressure around the 80th minute with Thomas and Concannon combining, and a corner from the letter was headed wide by Creaney.
Lambs fans were feeling that Rushall could well be the team likely to score first, and sure enough after forcing a corner, another on the opposite side was forthcoming and a powerful header by Clarke through a crowded area left Singh clasping at thin air to put The Pics in front with 6 minutes left on the clock. (0-1, 84 mins)
The Lambs seemed to be down and out but the never say die heroes sprang into life and a looping shot from Thomas was tipped over the bar by the Palmer as it was dropping into the goal.
Beswick’s corner was headed by Pendley and forced another flagkick on the right but that was dealt with by the Rushall defence.
But they couldn’t do anything to prevent the equaliser coming in the first minute of added time.
Another right sided corner was struck into the box, partially headed down, struck the Pics defence, looped back out, was headed back in and dropped perfectly for Creaney to bicycle kick from 12 yards. Needless to say he connected perfectly to rocket the ball into the back of the net for his tenth of the season. (1-1, 90+1 mins)
The travelling faithful behind the goal went wild with jubilation, but it wasn't over yet and a minute later Concannon won and whipped the ball from the right into the path of Thomas past the far post and he knocked it back first time for Creaney who duly smashed the ball into the centre of the back of the net (2-1, 90+2 mins)
Needless to say, drinks, programmes, hats, scarves and even bodies – basically anything not nailed down - went flying into the air in wild scenes of celebratory jubilation. A ‘miracle’ had happened. The Lambs had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and the Tamworth contingent gave their heroes a standing ovation as they left the pitch, smiling more in relief than anything.

Next up is the visit of Stourbridge to the Lamb on Tuesday night.
it’s the first time the teams have met since the Lambs FA Cup penalty victory last season, and the first home game since early September.
Based on the Lambs performances at St Ives, Belper, Leiston and Rushall, Stourbridge and those following the action on the terraces will not want to take their eye off the ball for one second as the squad goes in search of another three points, and vies for starting-XI FA Cup shirts too!

Singh, Hart (Currie 67), Wilder, Beswick (c.), Pendley, Brown (Riley 6), Walters (Concannon 63), Forde, Creaney, Thomas, Waite
Subs: Taylor, Tait

YC: Creaney 32, Pendley 40, Forde 51

Palmer, Lyttle, Mitchell, Thorley, Clarke, Whiitall, Coyle (Steele 85), Moore, Glover (Reid 56), Parry, Batchelor
Subs: Green, Graham, Clement

YC: Moore 29, Thorley 32

Referee: Mr. Stuart Kane

Attendance: 582

Written by Dave Clayton and Ivor Turner

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates