Lye Town  v  Tamworth

Tue 2 Nov - 19:45 Birmingham Senior Cup 2nd Round

Lye Town

Lye Town




Match Report

Having received a bye through to the second round, Tamworth travelled to Lye Town who had beaten Solihull Moors in the first round of the Birmingham Senior Cup and The Lambs progressed through to Round 3 at The Sports Ground, home of the Midland League Premier Division side on a cold Tuesday night with mist rolling onto the football / cricket pitch almost as a hangover befitting of the weekend’s Halloween theme.

Tamworth’s last visit to the Sports Ground had been a 3-1 FA Cup replay victory in 1991, while a 1995 fixture Staffordshire Senior Cup tie at The Lamb which ended 9-3 in The Lambs favour was the last time both sides had met.

As expected, there were a raft of changes to the side that progressed in the FA Trophy at the expense of Spalding United at the weekend, with only four of the Saturday starting eleven remaining in the starting line up, in a side that included Charlie Shaw, making his first appearance on the field since April 2019.

Lye kicked off proceedings after traffic delays caused the kick off to be put back 15 minutes and premature fireworks, heralding the imminent arrival of bonfire night, were set off somewhere nearby during the early exchanges, but it was Tamworth who had the first chance inside the opening ten minutes when Birch and Taylor combined but were unable to get their efforts under the cross bar and the final ball dropped onto the roof of the net.
Ceesay forced the first corner of the game for the home side on 18 but Tamworth took the advantage on 23 when Taylor played the ball into the path of Shaw on the edge of the area who duly celebrated his return to football with a low strike past Newey in the home goal (1-0, 23 mins)
Bridgewater thought he had headed the equaliser on 33 but despite there being a few scratched heads as to why his effort was ruled out, the referee indicated a foul in the box once the corner had been taken.
And five minutes later Tamworth took advantage, again another low strike and again it was set up by Taylor but this time Forde netted with a similar finish from a similar distance bagging his 3rd goal on his 49th appearance.
As the first half drew to a close Tait nearly added another to the tally but his strike was tipped over by Newey shotly before the whistle blew.

HT 0-2

After the break and with hot drinks being a mandatory requirement on the terraces Lye took the game to The Lambs and the pace didn’t let up for the majority of the second half.
Fallows blocked a shot from Ceesay and Davies volley went just wide of the mark while at the other end Taylor continued to be a nuisance but was unable to test Newey.
Tait saw his glancing header go wide of the mark on 56 and he fired over when well-placed after good work from Concannon on an increasingly wet and sticky pitch on 63.
A number of changes for both sides mixed things up and increased the work rate all round, but The Lambs had to wait for Waite to round things off with a tidy finish after good build up play from Tait and Shaw, shortly before the whistle blew and the small crowd left to warm up after an enjoyable nights football in the Black Country.

Fallows, Yeomans, Cockerill-Mollett, Shaw, Howkins, Cox Concannon, Forde (Currie 65), Taylor (Malandjou-Kondjo 65), Birch (Waite 76), Tait
Subs: Thomas, Riley

YC: Malandjou-Kondjo 80

Lye Town
Newey, Dutton, Hawkins, Dwyer (Danks 75), Bridgewater (Cook 70), Tye, Davies (Cartwright 66), Campbell, Pryce, Billingham, Ceesay
Subs: Westwood, Pearlman

Referee: Mr. N. Felton

Attendance: unknown

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates