Hitchin Town  v  Tamworth

Sat 18 Dec - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central

Hitchin Town

Hitchin Town




Match Report

With Christmas a week away, and with Santa in attendance at Top Field, The Lambs travelled to second from bottom club Hitchin Town with both sides in need of a change in fortunes.

The two sides had played out a goalless draw at The Lamb in October after the initial fixture had been postponed due to the fuel crisis, with the Coronavirus outbreak continuing around the globe, cancelling many Premiership and League matches on the day.

There were six changes to the side that ran out for the 0-1 home defeat at the hands of Rushden and Diamonds, with a return to the starting eleven for captain Ryan Beswick, Jordaan Brown, Aaron Forde, Matt Stenson, Liam Cross and re-signing Bilal Yafai.

The Lambs got the game underway, attacking the clubhouse end of the ground and when Yafai was brought down on the right Beswick’s dead ball into the box was turned home by Cox via a deflection off the defender but the linesman’s flag denied an opening strike within the first minute or two.
Cross went down injured on 5 and by 8 he was unable to continue, hobbled from the field and was replaced by Waite.
Neither side was able to take control of proceedings and the ball spent a lot of time in the air as the home side cleared their lines, and Tamworth tried to push forwards.
Stenson tried his luck from 20 yards on 18 but a deflection took the pace out of it and Horlock was able to drop and smother the ball easily.
Brown picked up a booking for a foul on the right on the half way line on 22 and from the freekick Hitchin pressed but were unable to create an opening but did keep The Lambs pegged back.
Black’s shot from the left deflected off Yeomans for a corner on 25, and Singh caught it above the leaping pack.
Following a challenge where Yafai took the brunt of the boot of Green on 26 the game was abandoned. The Hitchin man received a booking and as Yafai took a knock to the head it necessarily took a long time for the medical and management team to decide what was best for the Lambs man. With Yafai unable to be moved and with everyone in a mixture of shock and concern, after ten minutes the referee called time on proceedings while waiting for an ambulance to arrive at Top Field. Thankfully, an hour later Yafai was able to walk from the field before being taken to hopsital in the waiting ambulance.

Singh, Yeomans, Wilder, Beswick, Cox, Brown, Concannon, Forde, Stenson, Yafai, Cross (Waite 8)
Subs: Pendley, Fallows, Lissimore, Jones

YC: Brown 22

Horlock, Green, Brown, Gleeson, Webb (c.), Jones, Stead, Barker, Cawley, Coldicott-Stevens, Black
Subs: Moloney, Kinoshi, Ackom, Dasilva, Georgiou

YC: Green 26

Referee: Mr Burke

Att: 419

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates