Tamworth  v  Biggleswade Town

Sat 11 Dec - 15:00 Southern League Premier Central




Biggleswade Town

Biggleswade Town

Match Report

Following Tuesday night’s away defeat to the hands of in-form Alvechurch, Tamworth returned to league action, hoping to recreate some of the second half application and attitude the hardy fans had witnessed at Lye Meadow and against Biggleswade, the side that they lead twice against in the previous fixture at Langford Road.

Going into The Lambs 19th Southern League Premier Central fixture The Tamworth sat in 10th place, with The Waders in 11th, both with similar records but with a four point gap between them.
Being just the third home game in the last dozen fixtures, the largely partisan home crowd was expectant of a turn in fortunes which had seen their side go through a very barren spell which ran to eight games without a clean sheet (F6, A18).

Gary Smith and Andrew Danylyzsyn took charge of their 99th game, while club captain Ryan Beswick didn’t feature in what would have been his 99th appearance for The Lambs.

With Jack Thomas and Aaron Forde not available, there were four changes to the side that ran out against Alvechurch with Yeomans, and Waite taking places on the bench, while Beswick and Matt Stenson did not feature as Shaq McDonald, Jordan Clement, and Alex Jones all started having finished the game at Alvechurch along with Jack Concannon.

With the afternoon rain showers persisting The Lambs got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street end in the first half, and Creaney forced Hill into a close range parry from a left footed half volley inside the first minute.
McDonald forced a corner from a left sided cross on 4 but it was cleared and The Waders broke forward. Creaney upended Peters on the left of the box on 5 and Neal’s deadball was dealt with.
Shaw spotted an opportunity and struck from distance on 14 but put his effort into the terracing before the visitors forced a corner on the left and Singh, then Clement cleared the danger.
McDonald’s cross from the left was headed goalward by Jones but Biggleswade broke downfield and Shaw picked up a booking for his pull on the Biggleswade midfielder trying to go past him. Singh was happy enough to watch Farrell’s deadball go out past the far post though.
And in the next move, Clement spotted Hill off his line but couldn’t get his lob from distance over the keeper who caught it calmly 6 yards out.
A flowing move involving Clement, Concannon and McDonald was halted by a call of the linesman’s flag on 22 and a foul by Wilder on Neal set up Farrell with the freekick on the right corner of the box on 23. His deadball was defended strongly but booted upfield all the way to Hill with Concannon chasing it down.
McDonald seemed to go down under a challenge as he tried to connect with a deep ball into the area on 25, but nothing was given by the referee and play continued.
Concannon was released by a chipped pass through from Creaney on 29 and his cross came back off the defender at the near post for a corner on the right which ended with an offside flag after Jones had been brought down and his quick freekick found McDonald past the last defender.
Wilder strayed offside too and was flagged on 33 from Creaney’s header, and then McDonald saw his shot / cross from the left intercepted by Hill with Concannon bearing down.
But on 35 The Lambs took the lead, McDonald picked the ball up on the left, made his way past a couple of defenders to the D and fired past Hill with a powerful finish (1-0, 35 mins)
Cardines was booked for a challenge on Hart in front of the away dugout on 37and he needed extended attention from the physio before being substituted by Yeomans before play resumed.

Wilder got a left sided cross onto the head of Creaney on 43 and he directed it down into the floor but just a foot wide of the far post, and then Silva tried a shot from 25 yards but cleared the right side corner of bar and post.
Yeomans and Shaw linked up to feed Concannon in added time, but his rifled shot from the right of the area rose over Hill’s crossbar.
Silva was booked deeper into added time for a challenge on Yeomans which left him needing treatment and from the freekick Creaney punted the ball into the box and Farrell headed it behind off Hill for a corner on the right which fell to Cox but he blasted his shot from 20 yards over the target and the whistle blew and following an incident as the players left the field the players did not come back out from the dressing room area for some time and the game was abandoned at 16:20.


Singh, Hart (Yeomans 40), Wilder, Shaw, Pendley, Cox, McDonald, Clement, Creaney, Concannon, Jones
Subs: Brown, Fallows, Waite, Cross

YC: Shaw 19

Hill, Shaw, Farrell, Peters, Short, Hall Stevens, Silva, Neal, Parker, Cardines
Subs (4 only): D’Arcy, Vasey, Baker, Garrett

YC: Cardines 37, Silva 45+

Referee: Mr. R. Watson

Attendance: 504

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates