Tamworth FC  v  Halesowen Town

Tue 13 Nov - 19:45 Birmingham Senior Cup

Tamworth FC

Tamworth FC


Halesowen Town

Halesowen Town

Match Report

After the FA Trophy defeat on Saturday, The Lambs welcomed The Yeltz in the second round of the Birmingham Senior Cup. Dennis Greene fielded a strong starting line up with U21 keeper Aidan Jeynes replacing Jas Singh as Paul Green came in for Kristian Green and Ryan Beswick and Tyrell Waite took spots on the bench after starting on Saturday.

Halesowen got the game underway with Tamworth attacking the Meadow Street End in the first half.
An early chance for the visitors came on 3 when Shamsi fed the ball through the left to 42 year old Hughes and his shot was taken low at the second attempt by Jeynes.
Lait’s run and low cross into the box was cleared on 7 but Verma couldn’t direct his shot from 30 yards on target.
The game was fast paced and full of intent, but the defences were holding strong and Dunkley’s run into the box brought a corner on 18 which Hughes booted away.
Gough hit a high ball looking for the top right corner and Hill probably could have let it drop out of play but decided to push it to safety and although there were a few half chances for Lait, Verma, Smith and Clement Halesowen eventually cleared the ball.
Lait found the head of Smith on 25 and his nod down fell invitingly for Dunkley, but the latter’s shot went over the bar and the offside flag would have ruled it out anyway.
The Lambs went close on 30 when Dunkley’s header was blocked by a team-mate en route to the goal and after a pacey run from Dunkley on 32 Johnson hit a low shot from the right straight at keeper Hill.
Shamsi made a surging through the middle of the park into the box on 35 but ultimately fired wide o the right hand post then at the other end,Verma struck from 20 yards and went close but not quite close enough.
On 38 Gilpin's cross from the right dropped over Jeynes and onto the bar and was picked up by Hughes on the left of the box but The Lambs shepherded it out of play to safety.
Lait’s header struck a defender and Waite tried to turn and shoot but it was blocked for a corner from which Jemson managed a shot at goal but Hill was in the right place.
Gough tried his luck from distance as the clock ticked into added time, but it curled harmlessly wide and the whistle blew for half time.


Tamworth restarted proceedings and Smith fired a powerful shot diagonally wide of the left hand post in the opening exchanges.
Waite floated a great ball through for Smith on 48 and he took one touch before lofting a shot over the keeper which bounced inches wide.
Clement then stuck a powerful shot wide of the mark from 25 yards as Tamworth continued to press but at the other end Hayles-Docherty skipped along the front edge of the box and drove low past the left hand upright on 52.
Johnson’s low cross deflected off Yeltz defender Wheatley and Jeynes did well to deny a shot from Hughes on the right on 53.
Gilpin drove a low shot across the box and out via a touch from a covering defender on 56 and Shamsi’s corner was headed clear by Kettle.
Hawkshaw struck a left footed shot from the left of the D past the far post on the hour.
A corner on the fell invitingly for Johnson and his overhead kick went straight at Hill.
Asante came on for Johnson and nearly made it count but his first touch on a ball in the box forced the visiting defence to scramble it away.
Hayles-Docherty struck a looping shot towards the top left corner on 68 and forced Jeynes to protect his goal before play switched to the other end and Lait was involved in forcing a couple of corners with teasing crosses into the danger area.
Smith headed Clement’s corner wide of the far post on 71 and Asante’s pressure on the Halesowen defence forced another fag kick on 72 which Kettle headed inches wide of the far post.

Lait’s deep cross was nearly but not quite headed home by Smith on 73 and Asante set himself up well enough but wasn’t able to find the target.
Morris was booked for a challenge on Smith on the halfway line on 79 but the latter couldn’t direct his header, from the long freekick into the box, goalward.
Lait struck a powerful shot at Hill on 85 which the keeper parried behind and as the clock ticked on 90 Gilpin forced a corner which Hawkshaw took but The Lambs broke and Smith saw his shot blocked.
Waite played a neat one two with Smith and forced his way into the box before striking the underside of the bar with a rasping shot from a few yards out before the whistle blew and brought penalties with it.

Penalties (Halesowen first)
1: Reilly scored, Beswick’s kick was saved (1-0)
2: Agbor scored, Smith saved (2-1)
3: Morris scored, Verma scored (3-2)
4: Kelly scored, Asante scored (4-3)
5: Bragoli scored to make it 5-3 and put the visitors into the next round.

Tamworth Team:
Jeynes, Green P (Waite 40), Gough, Clement (Beswick 81), Kettle, Jemson, Dunkley, Verma, Smith, Johnson (Asante 64), Lait
Subs: Maphosa, Singh

Halesowen Town Team:

Hill, Wheatley, Tonks, Hawkshaw, Morris, Kelly, Gilpin, Bagoli (c.), Hughes (Reilly 67), Shamsi (Agbor 67), Hayles-Docherty
Subs: Grainger, Ward, Glass

YC: Morris 79

Attendance: 233

Referee: Mr. A. Cox

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates