Tamworth FC  v  St Ives Town

Sat 22 Dec - 15:00 Southern Premier Central

Tamworth FC

Tamworth FC


St Ives Town

St Ives Town

Match Report

After ten days since the last run out, Lambs boss Dennis Greene made five changes to the side that suffered defeat at Stratford Town and included new signing striker Michael Taylor who had signed from the side during the week.
Magunda and Kettle returned from injury while Jack Concannon, in from Blues on work experience made his debut.

St Ives kicked off towards the Castle End and in the second minute The Lambs had the first chance, a searching cross from the right from Green was met by the head of Smith but he couldn’t direct it on target.
Concannon lined up a left sided freekick on 5 but it was headed clear on The Lambs were forced to work from the back again.
The visitors took the lead in the tenth minute when Ward threaded the ball through to Newman in the left of the box and he fired home inside the near post past the dive of Singh (0-1, 10 mins)
Newman made a run into the right of the box on 16 and it took a save from Singh at his near post to deny the number 9 his second and from the corner, The Lambs cleared.
Lait’s ball into the left of the box was headed back into the danger area by Verma on 20 and it nearly forced the St Ives defender to head into his own net but he put it behind for a corner which was handled by St Ives defender Wilson and a penalty was awarded.
Smith stepped up and blasted it home from the spot to level the tie (1-1, 22 mins)
From the restart a high bounce caught Singh out and The Saints pressed from the flag kick until Maphosa cleared the danger.
Tamworth were unable to clear the danger from The Saints as the half hour mark approached and the visitors were back in front on 30 when Newman’s shot was blocked and fell for Ward to rifle home from the left of the box at the second attempt (1-2, 30 mins)
Kettle picked up a booking for pulling the Saints man back as he tried to go past him down the left wing on 41 but the visitors wasted the freekick.
Concannon made a strong run into the area on 44, pushed it out to Gough on the left and the received the ball back.
His shot took a deflection to take it over the bar and Tamworth pressed from the corner, but Verma glanced his header wide in the last action of the half.


Tamworth made a change before starting the second half and Concannon struck a shot from outside the box on 48 which whistled past the left hand upright.
He tried from distance again on 49 but just failed to hit the target again as The Lambs showed the visitors their intention without troubling Conway in the Saints goal too much.
A low shot from Lait forced Conway to smother the ball in front of him on 56 and a deep freekick was headed into the danger by Waite area but cleared.
Waite was then brought down with a hefty challenge from Parker which earned him a yellow card for his efforts on 58. Lait surged forwards and the ball fell to Smith on the hour.
His side footed shot looked destined for the top left corner but Conway pushed it over the woodwork for a flag kick on the left which the keeper punched away and behind for another on the same side but The Saints prevented The Lambs from taking advantage.
Tamworth kept St Ives pressed back with another corner on 64 which Conway punched away again and Waite struck for goal on 65 but the keeper pulled out all the stops to deny him again with a fisted block.
A couple of St Ives players went into the book as the game drew to a close including former Lamb Wallis after a tussle with Lait by the clubhouse on 86, who was also booked.
Five minutes added time was shown at the end of the 90 and Tamworth pushed forwards with Lait forcing a corner on the left on 91.
Green whipped the ball into the box with a long pass on 92 which Smith headed into the path of Taylor, but he could only divert it over the bar from 6 yards out.

With ten men behind the ball The Lambs struggled to get space in the final third and when the ball fell into the path of Smith and Taylor in the 95th minute St Ives cleared the danger before the final whistle below on.

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Green K, Gough, Magunda, Kettle (c.), Maphosa, Concannon, Verma (Waite HT), Smith, Taylor, Lait
Subs: Jemson, Shaw, Sharpe, Potts

YC: Kettle 41, Lait 86

St Ives Town Team:
Conway, Wallis, De’ath, Sundrie, Cartwright, Wilson J (Jackson 86), Bailey (Baker 79), Parker (c.), Newman (Wilson D 71), Kelly, Ward
Subs (4 only): Seymour-Shone
YC: Parker 58, Baker 83, Wallis 86

Attendance: 593

Man of the Match: CR MOT Centre chose Concannon

Referee: Mr. O. Williams

Our Headline Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Our Affiliates